RHCP and the push

There is something beautifully pushy to see genius at work. When you see a pianist's flying fingers on keys, you wish you could play like him. A guitarist flying fingers on a fretboard, you wish you could that. Some of us go ahead and try to do it. That is what made me pick up the guitar. Well, almost. I had always loved the sound of the strings being plucked and strummed, but then when I started listening to proper rock (around the age of 12-13), I could no longer play my favourite songs (because I played the piano and only that). So hearing such passionate songs, watching energetic videos pushed me finally take up the guitar and start playing.

Now when I watch a video like Dani California, I feel the same push to improve by leaps and bounds in short amounts of time, just so that I can perform like RHCP, an play with the life and vigour of Frusciante. I am not talking about the whole video, but the end when they show up as themselves, and they're just having an amazing time on the stage. I wish I had a band and could do that.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find people with the drive or the enthusiasm I have. Skills can be learnt, but enthusiasm is something you either have or don't. I am not going to try and sell the idea of being in a band to anyone. If they don't want to be in one, they'll not do justice if they're put in one. But it just sucks not to be on stage. I am too used to it. The rush of having hundreds or thousands people looking at you, and shouting with you ... it's like no alcohol or drug could give you. I talk from experience.

Being a shy guy, I ofcourse am nervous before every performance (I've given more than 10 of them), but when I'm on the stage, a spine warming flow washes over and I just shiver once, and then it's gone.

I think I'm gonna have work overtime now to find people and get back on stage.

'Game time!'