Satisfaction

Today I learnt a valuable lesson from a friend. I don’t think the person in question (Pratyush Jalan) even realises it … I take his name because I want to chronicle who it is rather than leave it to memory for later and forgetting it. The lesson I learnt is that the ultimate satisfaction is always gained by helping out, not by getting a cheap thrill at someone elses clueless–ness. Now, I don’t do that anyway. But some times in the past, I have. And I wish I had seen this back then… really!



The simple act of answering to the point, when asked something; not throwing any useless comments, and frustrating someone even more; and genuinely “wanting” to help out (he actually had to drop explaining to finish his own solution, and then at the end, without me asking again, asked if I got it or not, and then proceeded to explain again) is enough to make someone feel good, even if it comes out fruitless at the end.



I think this is one of the simple people courtesy that a lot of us lack. The ability to give a simple, “straight” answer. It’s very easy to be a smart ‘aleck and give someone a twisted answer that might make others around you laugh. But … it loses you respect. The person will now respect you a little lesser, and will think twice before asking you something. This has also been happening to me for the past few days, and though I stuck about, I’m beginning to re–think my judgement.



I should be the last person talking about “people–skills”, I know. But I can’t help it, going through two contrasting behaviours like this. It’s extremely heartening to see people who are willing to help, and I wish I could be like that without actually seeing it for myself, and doing it because that’s how my nature is…